Contest Rules and Regulations
After a 2 year hiatus, Felicita’s is excited to bring back Battle of the Bands 2023! The battles will be held on Fridays between the dates of Jan 27th and March 24th 2023.
This year’s prizes are:
- 1st – $750 plus a day in a record studio, and a Friday headlining in the Fall & Spring semester (2023 -2024),
- 2nd – $500 and a Friday headlining show in year (2023/24),
- 3rd – $250 and a Friday show in the year (2023/24)
- 4th – Friday show (2023/24).
*Paid gigs negotiated with Pub Manager based on mutual availability with no other cash value
To participate, your band must:
- Minors MAY NOT participate; all participants must be 19 years of age or older and may be required to provide 2pcs of ID.
- Applications must be submitted by Jan. 20th 2023 either in person at Felicita’s or emailed to email@example.com
- Must be available to play both rounds and on the date of the finals.
- Sets are 40 minutes (38-40min) each. 2 points are discounted per minute over 40 minutes. You will have 10 minutes to set up on stage and 10 minutes to get off the stage.
- Cover songs are not mandatory, and you can play all original material.
- No more than 3 cover songs per set. Cover songs must be rearranged and should NOT sound like a copy of the original. Make it your own. (Please announce on the mic when playing covers to make sure the judges are aware.) 2 Points are discounted for extra cover songs. No points are awarded for covers that are a straight copy of the original, we want to hear about your creativity and what you can come up with. “Make it your own.” Duke Ellington.
- Treat all Felicitas staff, sound tech and fellow bands with respect. A lack of a good attitude will have a negative impact on the overall final score and could lead to disqualification.
- No alcohol is permitted on stage and any performer deemed intoxicated will not be allowed to perform and must exit the premises.
- Stage presence is a massive factor in audience engagement and is part of the scoring.
- Performers are to keep lyrics and stage presence respectful as well.
- Follow Load-in and soundcheck instructions.
Load in and soundcheck instructions:
- Please arrive before the soundcheck is scheduled to start.
- All equipment must be stored on the RIGHT SIDE (stage left) of the stage, by the tables, in front of the PA system.
- No gear should be stored on the left side (stage right) bathroom side.
- Do not load the gear on stage.
- The soundcheck will happen only for the closing band of the night and the opening band, respectively.
- Only the closing band can place Amps and Drums on stage. No pedals or instruments.
- Felicita’s Pub is a liquor primary venue but do like the sentiment of still allowing patrons to talk, so please keep in mind the overall stage volume (e.g., guitar amps). We are not at the Save on Foods arena.
The 3 Round Process:
- You will perform your first set on your designated first round date at Felicita’s. All first round performances will be completed by Feb. 17th , and you will be contacted soon after if your band has been selected to play in the next round. 8 bands will be selected to play in the next round: 2 bands will be selected by audiences and judges from each of the 4 first round dates.
- If selected, you and the remaining 7 qualifying bands will be required to play the second round on either March.3rd or 10th 2023. We will let you know which night your band plays. Two bands per each round will be selected to go on finals round for a total of 4 bands.
- You and the 3 other semi-finalist will battle it out at the Final Round on March. 24th 2023. There will be 4 bands competing for the winning position.
50% of the score is based on audience votes. The other 50% is divided into the following categories: Stage Presence; Music Choice; Talent; Crowd Reaction; Tightness; Covers vs Orig; Set time; Overall. E.G. Judges scoring (combined and averaged)
Application Deadline is January 20, 2023